Friday, October 17, 2008

Bodyface review

So, I put up a craigslist ad announcing the launch of this blog. The first band to respond to the ad was called "Bodyface." Right off the bat I was put off. From the image of the band to the first few notes. It's not the look or sound that I really jive to. But, I figured these guys are clearly on their game and know that if they want their music to get "out" they need to reach out to whatever media outlets they can, and, so, I did the nice and responsible thing and listened to the three songs on their myspace attentively.

And I'm glad I did.

This band may not be my cup of tea, but they are very, very good. "Water" got me thinking of Nirvana, which is borderline sacrilege, because, well, it's Nirvana. But, nonetheless that's what popped into my head. "MRI" reminded me a bit of later Pearl Jam, so, now having put them in the company of some bonified rock gods it was time to listen to the last song with ears attuned to something that six minutes prior they were not attuned to. "Despair" is a beautiful ballad with just the right mixture of anger and sentiment. Very neatly arranged and, in terms of creating a somber but not gushy aesthetic, the song achieves so excellently.

They're playing at the Annex on 10/29 and I might just have to go to the show.

-Hank C. Kupsic

No comments: